• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland
  • VISA



    Amendment of the provisions of the Schengen Borders Code

    The European Parliament and the Council of the European Union have tightened the provisions of the Schengen Borders Code on the rules for crossing the external borders. From April 7th, 2017 all persons crossing the external border will be subject to detailed border checks.

    The amendment of the Schengen Borders Code imposes on all EU Member States an obligation to carefully examine every person entering or leaving the Schengen Area. The amendment of the Schengen Borders Code is a response to persistent terrorist threats in Europe.

    So far, people exercising their right to freedom of movement under EU law, Polish citizens as well, were subjected to so- Minimum clearance. From Friday April 7th, 2017 every person crossing the external border at all border crossing points, both road, sea and airports, will be subjected to a thorough check-in. Tightening of regulations means that, in addition to verifying the identity and citizenship of a person crossing the Schengen border and verifying the authenticity and validity of a travel document entitling to cross the border, each traveler will be checked in national and European databases to confirm that he or she is not considered a threat for public order, internal security, public health or international relations of any EU Member State.

    Tightening of the rules will have an impact on the duration of border checks at points crossing the Polish border (in the case of borders with countries outside the Schengen area) and may extend it. In order to minimize the negative effects of the changes, the situation will be monitored on an ongoing basis by the Polish Border Guard and appropriate steps will be taken according to the level of traffic and the longer waiting time for travelers.





    Citizens of Malaysia and Brunei Darussalam can travel to Poland and to the Schengen Area countries without a visa for a period of up to 90 days. They only have to apply in the Embassy in order to obtain a long-term visa (over 90 days), enabling them to study or work in Poland.

    On 21st December 2007, together with 8 other new EU Member States, Poland joined the Schengen area - a territory with no checks at internal borders formed by 25 States. These States apply uniform rules concerning entry and short stays in their territories. This means that from 21 December 2007 Polish Consulates and Embassies are eligible to issue Schengen visas which allow to travel to Schengen Area Countries without other visas. 


    The map of current Schengen Area : 



    25 Schengen Countries:


    Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

    If you have a valid Schengen visa you don't need to apply for the Polish Schengen Visa - you can use it for traveling to Poland.  


    You can apply for the Schengen visa in the Consulate of the destination country (namely, the country in the Schengen Area where you will stay for the longest time on your trip). If you are planning to travel to multiple countries, one of them being Poland, you must check before coming to our Embassy whether Poland is your destination country.


    Schengen C-type visa


    If you intend to stay in the territory of Poland and/or any other Schengen states c (during one or more visits) for a total of up to 90 days within a half-year period  calculated from the date of  first entry, or if you plan to transit through Schengen territory (by train, car or plane), you need to  apply for a Schengen C-type visa.

    The unified Schengen visa (C-type visa valid in Schengen States) entitles the holder to stay in the territory of all Schengen states.

    The Schengen visa with limited territorial validity (C-type visa valid only in Poland or with validity excluded for a specified Schengen state/states) entitles the holder  to stay only in the territory of the state/states for which it is valid.


    National D-type visa


    If you intend to stay in the territory of Poland for a total of more than 90 days (at least 91 days)  during one or more visits  within a half-year period calculated from the date of first entry, you need to apply for a national D-type visa.

    The national D-type visa entitles the holder to:

    - stay in the territory of Poland throughout the period of its validity;

    - additionally, to move within the territory of  other Schengen states for up to three months within a half-year period.


    Transit airport visa


    If you intend to travel by air from a third state to another third state with a stopover at an airport in the Schengen area (in the territory of the Republic of Poland) and also:

    (1) you do not intend to leave the international transit  area of the airport and

    (2) you hold the citizenship of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq,  Nigeria, Pakistan, Sudan or Sri Lanka

    - you need to apply for an A-type airport transit visa.

    When planning transit through an airport situated in a Schengen state other than Poland, we advise you to directly contact a consulate of the country concerned for visa information.

    The A-type airport transit visa entitles the holder only to stay in the international transit area of the airport (it does not entitle the holder to enter Schengen territory or to leave the transit area of the airport).

    How long can I spend in the territory of Poland/Schengen  with a C or D-type visa?   

    The duration of stay by foreign nationals in Poland (holders of national D-type visas) or in  Schengen territory (holders of  unified C-type visas) is indicated  in the visa (“duration of stay” expressed in numbers); such stay is possible  only during the validity of the visa (“visa valid from….to….”).



    Print Print Share: